View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

This is a tough scenario. By rule you CANNOT have a goaltending or basket interference call on this play. It is either a Technical foul or a play on.

The coach obviously knew the crew misapplied the rule and was well within is right to be upset. I am not happy calling a T to compound matters but sometimes guys lose their minds.

As the crew chief, we have to remember our #1 responsibility is to the game. In this situation, the right call was a no-call. I would do the best thing for the game and correct a misapplication of the rules. In other words wipe the violation and scored basket and going to the arrow. We have to display trust in our partners, but there are rare instances... a rules misinterpretation being one where you cannot be worried about hurting someone's ego or feelings. The calling official put the crew in a bad situation in the first place. As crew chief, you cannot allow that to happen and should have that understanding in the pregame that you make all final calls on a rules issue. If you let that go down and your name is on the game report as crew chief, your supervisor cannot defend your inactions.

This is easier said than done... especially from the confines of a computer screen versus in the heat of the moment in a tight ballgame. Hopefully this is a good learning situation for the crew. I would make sure your 3rd understands the rule moving forward...