View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I disagree. Short if some incredible spin on the ball, only the rear surface of the board can apply a force to the ball that stops its forward movement. The bottom of the board can only direct the ball downward....it doesn't affect its forward movement. Likewise for the back...it doesn't deflect the ball downward, only back towards the OOB area.

So, if it hits the board and deflects directly downward (all forward momentum lost), it hit both the back and the bottom. If it continues to the front of the backboard, it hit only the bottom.
Not to be a smarta**, but don't we have to judge if it hit either the bottom or the back?

I don't agree that only incredible spin would allow it to go straight down. A short girl plus an overhead throw that goes at a very steep angle hitting the pad on the bottom of the backboard.....just saying it can happen.

And I'm not saying the ones I have encountered went straight down. They probably went forward a little too. My memory isn't that good. My main point was that as the administering official standing under the basket, I really didn't think it hit the back.