View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 06:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

She Blinded Me With Science ...

It sounds like, and maybe I'm wrong here, that Freddy, AllPurposeGamer, BktBallRef, zm1283, and Camron Rust are all making this "easy" call based on the rebounding action, and Newton's Laws of Motion, of the ball after it hits a particular part of the backboard. That's fine with me, but it just seems "odd" to make a call without actually observing where the ball hits the backboard.

All I was saying it that is was actually very difficult to actually observe, to within a few fractions of an inch, exactly where the ball hits, relying on one's peripheral vision, at best. Especially when most of us, at the lead position, throughout the rest of the game, are trained to keep out eyes down, not up.

In any case, I'll be ready for my next game, carrying my trusty slide rule, clipped to my belt (we are neither discouraged, not are we encouraged, to wear belts in my little corner of Connecticut). When challenged by a coach on a call in this situation, I'll just whip out my slide rule and explain to him the rationale of my call based on sines, cosines, tangents, and cotangents. That will certainly shut him up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBWW...eature=related
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 26, 2011 at 06:33pm.