View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Question BESR Bats

Keep in mind, the opinions expressed early were mine and mine alone. I was intending to equate the BESR requirement in FED with other rules that are specific to FED. (No jewelry, as another example). There are adult teams that supposedly play under the FEDeration Rulebook, and many Recreational Leagues that do the same . . . but specifically allow any type of acceptable bat . . . and the use of jewelry (by adults) . . . and other "modifications" or "allowances" that modify the letter of the FED rulebook.

My point remains . . . allowing the use of another bat, in situations where there are no BESR-Rated ones available, doesn't automatically create a liability for an umpire. As for defense in a possible injury lawsuit, there's nothing that shows the "improper" bat didn't have the same characteristics or safety features or met the same tests as one that has an embossed label or sticker. The other thing that would have to be shown is that the bat was the proximate cause of the injury.

What if the sticker came off in the course of the game? The bat is still just as "safe" or "unsafe" as it was with the sticker affixed.

We play games now with curled up fences, loose bases, "wobbly" chalk lines, discolored and sometimes wet baseballs, "unapproved" baseballs, etc.; and face the same risks and liabilities. Methinks we're making mountains out of molehills by nit-picking whether a bat has an embossment or sticker.

Jerry