View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 10:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Maybe the scorer also works the table at NCAA games.
I can answer that. While I thought about that for a split second (and thankfully I work just enough that I know the difference), I am as sure as one can be that she does not.

And actually, I told her during a later timeout I was really pleased at the moment she chose to hit the horn (as the ball went in the basket after a transition) and thanked her for how she handled things. I didn't get to the whistle until the ball was at the disposal of the thrower-in.

I get why she was able to play for a bit -- yes, our scorers mark the number of quarters each player plays, so just entering the game *always* results in marking something on the scorebook, so we don't really have to worry about someone playing, coming out of the game, and never getting in the book. But a sub heads to the table, says her number, and I've probably already whistled her in and we're back in play as soon as we can be. By the time the scorer didn't find the number in the book, we were already off and running.

The timer told me a story about the game where a team had home and away numbers and the officials charged every player in the game and every sub that entered with a technical foul. No clue how long ago that was (it might have even been the rule then), but I mentioned to him that these days, we can have a maximum of one administrative technical foul.

I always joke that basketball is the easiest sport from a rules perspective, because we really don't need to know the minutiae of the rulebook -- but we do, it's just that in basketball the minutiae comes up a lot less often in other sports and the rules really don't change all that much from year to year.