View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hugo, do you think that a written interpretation from the chairman of the NFHS Baseball Rules Committe would sway them?

Kyle McNeely resides in my state and recently sent a message to our state's umpires regarding the 2012 baseball season. In it, he noted that he was always available via email if anyone had any questions regarding baseball in our state.

I decided to take him up on that!

In an email, I posed this play to him and asked what the FED ruling would be. This was his response:

If a throw is made, and the BR beat it, the umpire is to signal "safe." With the appeal now in our rulebook, the defense must intentionally appeal the missed base. If they do so before the BRgets back to first base, the umpire would now rule "out." We have two distinct situations here. The play, which the BR beat, and the appeal that the defense must make. I think we have that as an AR or casebook play. Think of it this way, on the play itself, the BR beat the throw, he is safe. He did not touch the base and that is now on the defense to appeal. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me anytime. Kyle

Maybe that will sway them!