View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

One thing about the glove rules is that every single association seems to have their own specific rule. It we dug around we could probably come up with a dozen different rules from a dozen different sanctioning bodies. Just to throw you another curve...some associations have different rules in their own rule books depending on if it's fastpitch or slow pitch (you didn't specify which one this would be used for).

And then there is the grey area of a pitcher not wearing anything "distracting" that is solely up to the individual umpire's judgment. Personally, I don't think that I'd rule that glove as distracting and think that any umpire who did would be "over-officiating". But I don't doubt that some coach might make that argument- especially if your pitcher is dominating his team! Some umpires will bend to a coach making such an argument. Others won't.

I will agree with the above rulings for ASA and NFHS/high school ball. For NSA, their fastpitch rule states that the pitcher's glove must be "uniform in color". I would say that by the letter of the rule, this glove is not uniform in color. My reading of the USSSA fastpitch rules leads me to believe that this glove would be legal in their games.

I can't really speak to PONY, Little League, NCAA, USFA, ISF or the host of other sanctioning bodies out there. They might be different and probably are. I have a hard enough time keeping the rules straight for the handful of associations where I actually work games!