View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Unless my memory has failed, it wasn't long ago (2001, I think) that ASA and Fed had the same rule: when the ball went into DBT, a runner who was on or beyond a base missed or left too soon could not return to correct the error (with an exception for balls deliberately thrown away).

Then ASA changed their rule so that a runner could return from no matter where he was when the ball went into DBT. However, they didn't take into account that runners might advance a base or more after the award and then try to retouch. They didn't want somebody taking his award and then, when the coach says, "Jimmy, appeal 1B," start returning to correct his error. This year, they decided to put some limitations on the runner, but they worded the rule badly and didn't seem to consider all the possibilities.

I'm still not sure at exactly what point the runner loses his right to return. Certainly one point is when he advances to the next base after we've made the award.

But what if the play does not involve that type of advance:

Abel hits a dribbler in front of the plate. F2 fields it and throws the ball wild over F3. As the ball rolls down the line into foul territory, Abel misses 1B. Abel rounds 2B, and the ball then goes out of play. We say, "Dead ball." Abel goes back to 2B and stands there. We award 2B. Can Abel now go back to touch 1B? If not, is it because he stopped and we have decided the play is over? In the other play, where the runner around 2B is awarded home, starts toward 3B, and then returns at the coach's direction to touch 1B, is he allowed to return because he never stopping moving enough to end the play?

[Edited by greymule on Mar 19th, 2003 at 12:11 PM]