View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
"• The eight-second backcourt violation will occur when the shot clock reaches 15 seconds, rather than 16.

The last rule is necessary because the 24-second shot clock will now be equipped to show 10ths for the final five seconds and work as a "true" clock. From a technical standpoint, the old shot clock began with 24.9 seconds and expired with .9 left. Now the clock will switch from 24 to 23 seconds after .1 second has expired."

I don't think many people realized this.There is a rules "guru" (he has the rule books memorized, page, rule, etc.) from the DC area who was the first person I heard talk about this. If we have a kick ball in college and the clock reads 15, should we reset the clock to 15? According to this gentleman, yes.

BTW, this gentleman does a weekly quiz 52 weeks a year via a newsletter (email). If anyone is interested PM me and I will give you his information.
Initials: A.B. and yes he is definitely a rules guru! And I think everyone should attempt to be a "rules guru".

I may be wrong but I don't agree with the statement "old shot clock began with 24.9 seconds and expired with .9 left". I do agree that a shot clock that shows 10ths of a second make sense.
24.0 - Shot Clock shows 24
23.1 - Shot Clock shows 24
23.0 - Shot Clock shows 23
1.1 - Shot Clock shows 2
1.0 - Shot Clock shows 1
0.1 - Shot Clock shows 1
0.0 - Shot Clock shows 0 (Horn sounds as soon as 0 shows on shot clock)
If you watch the shot clock at the beginning of the 2nd half a full second expires before the shot clock changes from 35 to 34 (Mens NCAA).

If the shot clock shows 15 then it is anywhere from 15.0 -> 14.1 so yes I agree that technically we should reset the shot clock to a fresh 15. However, I couldn't find it in this year's rule book. I think there was something sent out by the NCAA a couple of years ago that said we are supposed to reset it to a fresh 15 if it shows 15 but I can't find it. Anyone know where this is?