Thread: Arm Sleeve
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Arm Sleeve

Obviously arm sleeves must be worn for medical reasons only.

Arrive with my partner at the gym last night. We go out on the floor and notice that the home team has 2 players with arm sleeves. One sleeve is white and one is dark (Navy blue or black). If worn both sleeves have to be the same color and navy is not one of the colors that are allowed as the home team is wearing white. My partner says that he is going to ask the coach if either player has a note form the doctor and if not that neither player will be allowed to wear a sleeve. I mention to him that once we ask the coach if the arm sleeves are being worn for medical purposes we have done our jobs. If the coach says yes, then allow the sleeve. If coach says no, disallow the sleeve. Partner is insistent that he wants a note form the doctor or he will not allow the participants wear the arm sleeve. Coach says that players do not have notes form their doctor to allow the sleeve.

At halftime, before we exit to go to the locker room, one of the players respectfully says to my partner that his elbow is hurting and asks if he could wear the sleeve. Partner says that if the trainer says that it is for medical reasons he may. After halftime, with no conversation with trainer player returns to floor with the arm sleeve. Partner allows it to be worn.

For what its worth, I was the R on the game.

In our interperation meetings we are told that if a player (or coach) says that the arm sleeve is for medical purposes and it meets all other criteria (color) allow the sleeve.

Am I missing something? Why should we require a note from the doctor to allow the sleeve?

If I have this definite knowledge and partner ignores it what am I to do?

Doesn't this make us look bad by enforcing a rule that does not exist?