View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Let me get this straight.

RULES vs. GAME MANAGEMENT: An umpire knows the rules 100% but sucks in game management, that is good? A guy is letting people run all over him. Sitting back having a a talk with the fans for 10 minutes between innings. Not keeping proper line-up changes. Letting people talk trash. THIS MAKES RULES MORE IMPORTANT??

RULES vs. MECHANICS: An umpire makes the right call at first base, but is in "C" position with a runner on first. He will still get loads of crap from people saying "how can you see that from over there blue!" An umpire observes (correctly)a fly ball hit close to the chalk in fair territory and yells "Fair ball". But because mechanics are all screwed up, which again, causes a rain of crap to come down on him from both teams once the baserunner stops thinking he said "Foul"...THIS MAKES RULES MORE IMPORTANT??

Know the rules all you want, but it is the least important of the three that Pete mentioned. I am not saying to be a total idiot, but if a new umpire came into the association, I would hand him/her a rule book and softly say read it. But I would make damn sure I stressed proper mechanics and game management before he stepped on the field. Rules...trial by fire.