View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
+1

I was taught to respect authority figures. "Call the damn foul" is nothing but disrespect (10-4-1a, which came into play after Naismith did his thing in 1891). I don't see any gray area here at all.

Bob, "Let 'em Play" is more likely to get a stern look and "not again" from me than a T. Certainly Roman and Level Law applies. As for Carlin, I'm very familiar with his "idiots and maniacs" bit for driving, didn't know if it applies to anything else.

(I sense a YouTube link forthcoming.)
A stern look for "let em play"? Really?

You know, part of the coach's job is to be an advocate for his team. Sounds to me like you and a few others here are a bit sensitive. And this is coming from an official who's handed out his share of technical fouls over the last 25 years.

Unsportsmanlike behavior doesn't need to be stomped on the first time it happens, either. It's OK to ignore something you feel is toe-ing the line the first time. Even the mildest mannered coaches will say something that's out of character once and if it's not loud enough for everyone to be taken aback by it, how does it help the game to jump all over it?