View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 11:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpeach View Post
Does anyone know why we added "Team Control Foul"(TCF) to the rule book. I can understand Player Control Foul, because the player with the ball establish control and the immediate result of penalty would have to first be loss of possession which impacts the entire team. How do you logically establish the penalty for a foul... then how can we supersede this logic because one team has possession. Additional, TCF challenges court assignment mechanics for 2 man. I have searched the internet for a few min now trying to figure out why this decision was made but i have found nothing.

Thanks

I just got home from officiating and my knees have told me that they were not going to climb up into the attic to look at old rules books, none-the-less, my memory is good enough to comment on your post.

A few years ago the NFHS and NCAA adopted the no free throws penalty for Common Fouls (CF) committed by a player whose team had control of the ball at the time of the foul. This change was a reincarnation (my choice of words) or revival (Bonnie Jean's, my better half, choice of words) of a rule that had been in effect until the early 1980's (I think it was about then, but remember my knees, but the exact date is not important). The only difference between the original and the reincartion is that this latest rule change did add the definition of Team Control Foul (TCF).

I did not have a problem with the addition of the TCF definiton because in the earlier era of no free throw penalty we refered to these type of fouls as team control fouls.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio