View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 08:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I agree with you, but there are some powers-that-be in our area that are adamant that you stand in the same spot for both free throws. So on the first of two, you're supposed to get "wide and deep" just like you do on the second one. I don't agree with it, but I do it.
Of course. My point was this: Those powers that be will make up all kinds of reasons why you should be wide and deep, even though it doesn't matter in the least bit where the L stands during a free throw when another follows. And then if the mechanic ever changes, they'll pretend like they never said those things.

I'd be happier if they just said, "We stand there because it's the required mechanic."

When people asked why we didn't chop in time as the T in 2-person (unlike 3) with a frontcourt endline throw-in, the reasons were many (and all stupid) -- my favorite being that "you can't be looking across the court to chop in time -- someone will get floored over on your side while you're ball-watching." Now it's the proper mechanic. The ball watching excuse is only valid if you feel you have to stare at the ball to know when it's been touched on the floor.

When I work NCAAW games I have to remind myself to stand on the block.

Last edited by Rich; Thu Dec 08, 2011 at 08:17am.