Thread: Goal Setting?
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
My in-season goals are about things I can control -- mechanics, calls, officiating. Not about "getting the big game" (or working X tournament, or working first varsity game, etc).

My longer range goals are about those other things.
This.

I set long-term goals about the next "thing" I want to accomplish. I don't set a time limit on when it will happen, because a lot of it is out of my control. Two years ago it was to get the JV championship game. Check. Last year it was to make varsity this season. Check. Next on my list is to get rated high enough to get a Varsity district tournament assignment. After that will probably to make state or to get hired in the JUCO conference upon going to camp.

My in-season "goals" are less goals than areas of focus because they're less quantifiable -- more just about finding a few things I want to focus on working on that year. Last year it was having better and more constructive communication with coaches. I've been told I did really well on that and that's one of the reasons I got picked up for varsity this year.

This year, I'm focusing on communicating better with my partners and with players.