View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer View Post
I'm not sure those cases are parallel. A batted ball going through a gap is a mandated 2-base award. No umpire judgment in placing anybody. Also, "just keep running" is probably bad advice to a coach on a catch/no-catch controversy.

Obstruction is a closer situation, I think, and we have years of practice and some official guidance for many particulars there. Even so, we still have longish threads on forums such a this one about rarer situations. The MLB umpires may be making it up as they go along, which will be interesting.
1) We have some crazy fields and equally wierd ground rules. I have had caoches claim that they have a pole down right field and if it hits or goes into the protected area, it is three bases. That is just one example and we have had threads dedicated to others. We use our judgement and so will the MLB guys.

2) I don't see a problem with replay reversing a catch or vice versa. If the guy tagged and is thrown out on a play that, after review, is ruled no catch. He is still out. If the guy doesn't tag and there is a catch, after review, he chose to leave early and is penalized for his bad judgement.

3) I'm pretty confident that the MLB guys will have guidelines and be skilled enough to handle the drama. Being second guessed for exercising judgement is part of the game.