View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Ground Rule Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I agree, Jon. Placing runners is something umpires are sometimes called upon and most of us seem to do fine.

I can't tell you how many times I have had a coach say that the outfield fence has gaps at the bottom and asks how we'll handle it. I tell them to keep running and we'll sort it out. The same thing should happen in MLB with the replay in question. The CWS will have limted replay available too this year and it is about time. There's an awful lot riding on making the correct call.
I'm not sure those cases are parallel. A batted ball going through a gap is a mandated 2-base award. No umpire judgment in placing anybody. Also, "just keep running" is probably bad advice to a coach on a catch/no-catch controversy.

Obstruction is a closer situation, I think, and we have years of practice and some official guidance for many particulars there. Even so, we still have longish threads on forums such a this one about rarer situations. The MLB umpires may be making it up as they go along, which will be interesting.