View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Might be

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post
OK same situation less than two outs it's ruled a no catch R3 is safe at home (doesn't tag) upon further review it's ruled a catch. What do you do with R3?
If you put him back at 3rd how can you assume he wouldn't have tried to tag and score? Continuing action doesn't lend itself well to replay.
Yes, if R3 goes halfway home on a trouble ball to the outfield, that will be a problem. My point is that this will actually be rare; usually R3 will be tagging up in anticipation of the ball being caught. At least I think that is what coaches would expect.

Clearly, I would have to be there, and I doubt I ever will be*, but if R3 really did go down the line on an outfield fly, I might take that as an indication that R3 would not have tagged up on a caught fly ball. So, on further review, I might return R3 to third base. I expect that a little later, I might be ejecting somebody from the offense.

So no, I am not a proponent of expanding instant replay this way. Here's a scenario more likely, I think, to cause grief.

One out, R2. Line drive to right field, and R2 goes halfway to third. F9 dives to his left, and U1 rules a catch. R2 trots back to second base. But, on further review, the play is ruled a no-catch. Now, do you place R2 at third? Out at home on the throw? Score the run? In all of that, where does B/R get placed?

Depending on the location of the trap, it might most likely be B/R to second, score R2. Now I might get to eject somebody from the defense.

I wonder if anybody from MLB actually reviews tape from games where these situations have occurred to see how they would play out in real life?

* I'll never be an MLB umpire, but I suppose it's possible that I'd someday be working a LL World Series, and they are also a little whacky about replay.