View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Early in my career a veteran official told me "I'll take 'it' (jabbing comments) from a coach, but I won't take it from a player". I've taken that somewhat to heart, but each situation is unique and I handle them as such.

Whacked an 8th grade girl last weekend (no prior warning given) because she felt like she had to tell me 'what really happened' on a play she was involved in. Her mom came up to me after the game asking what she did because she wanted to know how she needed to discipline her child (refreshing to hear, huh?). I told her what happened and we both agreed that 'tone' has a lot to do with it. I also told her that in most cases, if a player "asks" a question, I will answer, but being told something probably won't get the same result.

It's amazing, the comments you mentioned in the OP, I would have never dreamed of saying back when I played. Boy how things have changed. Partly though, I think kids think they can say these type of comments because there is typically no repercussions, jmo.