View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Situation

My point is that with less than 2 outs, R3 is going to be tagging up on a fly to the outfield. Whether the ball is caught or trapped, the fielder will have the ball in possession, and R3 will have to decide whether to advance to home at her own risk. Chances are the fielder will throw home in either case as well.

So, most of the time, both offense and defense will play the same way (whether they think the ball was caught or not) with regards to R3.

To be explicit, say U1 originally calls the batter out on a fly into right field. R3 attempts to score and is put out at the plate. On further review, the crew decides that the ball is trapped. I think in most cases it would be correct to assume that R3 would have tried to run on the hit, and continue to uphold the out at home. Same for most other plays with R3 and less than 2 outs.

I am not defending the use of replay at any level for this type of review. I'm just saying that R3 will typically be the least of the worries for the crew that has to change such a call on review.