View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's My Line ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
In 2-person, who's line it is, well, that's pretty simple stuff.
Not with the "new and improved" IAABO mechanics.

Back in the "olden days" when IAABO used NFHS mechanics, the lead always had the closest sideline all the way back to the backcourt endline. Maybe not the best coverage, but still pretty simple, which is still the method used by many of our "grizzled" veterans, including some of our finest officials, the kind that work state championship final games.

Now we in IAABO "Neverland" use IAABO mechanics. The lead always has the closest sideline back to the foul line extended. Past that, it becomes a guessing game.

When the trail is not across the basketline, the lead has the frontcourt endline, and nearer sideline back to the division line. The trail has the nearer sideline, division line, and all three backcourt boundaries.

When the trail is across the basketline, the lead has the frontcourt endline, and nearer sideline to the free throw line extended. The trail has the nearer sideline, farther sideline above free throw line extended, division line, and all three backcourt boundaries.

During transition, press, and press break, situations, the lead, hanging back to help, will have out of bounds responsibilities on the entire nearer sideline.

Maybe this sounds simple to young officials who have used these mechanics their entire career, but when an "experienced" official, like me, gets together with a young "whipper snapper", this becomes a game of "chicken".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)