View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 08:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Relaxed Fit Mechaincs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
My partner was taking short cuts and would have been called "lazy" by anyone familiar with the amount of work, or effort, that should go into a game. Simple things like not hustling back on a fast break when he was are clearly responsible or blaming me for not getting the call on a line when he should have been in place to make the call. Also, he started to alter who should be taking the ball out by looking at how much work it was going to be to get to a spot, and then telling me it was my ball to pass in.
When all of us in our local high school board work an assigned game, from high school varsity games, all the way down to middle school games, we are all expected to put in 100% effort, 100% hustle, and 100% mechanics, in our case IAABO mechanics.

That being said, I also work, with pretty much the same group of guys and gals, for another assigner who assigns Catholic middle school games. These games pay less than public school assignments, and are always officiated as double headers, triple headers, or even quadruple headers, that, for the most part, must be over in, pretty much, less than an hour (six, and seven minute periods). Our assigning commissioner, for these games, allows us to use more "relaxed" mechanics. We are not expected to switch on all fouls, but "when convenient". We will often put the ball in play at a spot that is "convenient" to both officials, and players, which may not always be at the closest spot to the foul, or violation, and will often include bouncing the ball across the lane to an inbounder on his, or her, frontcourt endline. We will "bump" the timeouts, like we used to in the "olden days". Other than that, we do hustle, and put in our best effort, as expected by our assigning commissioner.

I know that others on this Forum will used more "relaxed" mechanics when working AAU games, or games on the recreation level.

As usual, it's a "When in Rome ..." situation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 26, 2011 at 01:28pm.