View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 25, 2011, 01:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This is apparently another one of those, "Do as we want, not as we say" situations. By rule, you are 100% correct. But the NFHS has said that they don't want team control to apply to anything except common fouls by the throw-in team.

I will refrain from any negative commentary.

Scrapper:

I understand why you are saying what you are saying, but the NFHS wanted to bring its definition inline with the NCAA's definition and the NFHS did a terrible job of it.

I do not believe that one can say that team control ends when the throw-in ends in the play being discussed whether the game is played under NCAA or NFHS rules. The definition of TC is the same for both rules sets.

In the play being discussed, Team A has control of the ball at the time of the IW. Thw IW cassed the ball to go from Live Ball to Dead Ball. Therefore Team A get possession of the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of the ball at the time of the IW. There is no TC from the time of the IW until the ball is at the disposal for Team A's throw-in at which the ball is both in PC of the Thrower and in TC of Team A.

The NFHS can say that TC ended when the throw-in ended but there is nothing, nada, now way Jose, can then position be defended by rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio