View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

2 Different Rules Questions

Was working a Men's JUCO game last night and these two scenarios came up:

1st Play

WHITE is shooting the 1st shot of a 1 and 1. Shot goes up, we have a foul on a push on WHITE for shoving a BLUE team member completely under the goal and the BLUE team is also in the bonus. Shot goes in. We handled it like this:

Counted the basket, reported the foul on WHITE. WHITE then shot the 2nd free throw of the bonus with the lane cleared. We then went to the other end where BLUE would attempt their 1 and 1 with everyone on the lane line and it will be a live ball on the first shot. Did we do this correctly? We were thinking that's the only way we could of done it, but I'm sure there is something we were missing.

2nd Play

BLUE has the ball for a throw in after a made basket. They throw the ball in and the official begins his 10 second count. On a pass, the ball is deflected by the WHITE team and its now rolling on the floor but WHITE has not gained team control so the official continues his 10 second count as a tipped pass does not negate team control. During the attempt to get the ball, a WHITE team member is on the floor going after the ball and a BLUE team member now goes through the kid on the floor to get the ball. We doubled up on the whistle as it was an easy foul. I was thinking that BLUE still had team control since the official still has a 10 count, other 2 partners were thinking that there is no team control so we shot the free throws because white was in the bonus.

Let me know how you would rule on this. I'm saying, by rule, since the 10 second count was still going that there is still team control, and therefor the foul on BLUE should of been a team control foul and WHITE should of been awarded the ball at the nearest spot on the floor.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! If you have any rule references or case book plays in the NCAA books that would be great