View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Pat: CS/FP is for those times when the rules are ambiguous. FED 8-4-1a: The batter-runner is out when he intentionally [my emphasis] interferes with the catcher's attempt to field the ball after a third strike.

Now, how are you going to explain your "common sense" ruling to a coach who knows the rules?

Don't waste your energy on easy plays. [/B]
The question here is an award of one or two bases. I never wanted to call this guy out.

Let me be sure I understand the letter of the law. Since the BR provided the impetus required for the ball to reach DBT, it is not considered a pitch but rather as any other live ball, thus a two base award.

Now, everyone is going to see that the batter kicked the ball out of play, and everyone is going to think that batter is in trouble. I can't see giving the batter TWO bases when he would have never gotten two bases had he not kicked the ball.

It would be easier to deal the rare coach that would know this rule than it would be to silence the common coach that has no clue what the rule is, but he absolutely knows you don't give the batter who just struck out second base because he kicked the ball out of play.

P-Sz