Thread: Scrimmage time
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Scrimmage time

I worked a girls scrimmage today. Showed up at the school. 2-person, they're planning on playing 3 games with 24-minute running halves.

I helped find people to work this (they only needed 4 and I was one of the 4). I got there and pretty much had the choice of working the varsity or the JV. Same teams, different courts, same pay.

I decided I wanted to work with the guy who was doing the JVs. Older guy, can't move that well, but a decent person to spend 3 hours with. And this is probably the only JV game I'll work, well, ever unless I fill in on an emergency basis.

Oh. My. God.

For those of you that work JV girls, I salute you. I couldn't do it. Every time dow the floor I could've called a traveling violation. I had to dial my filter way down in order to put any flow into the game. Bodies everywhere. We had no arrow at the table and tonight was proof that an official can memorize the arrow cause I must've had about 50 AP situations in 3 games.

While the coaches were friendly and the kids were nice and fun to be around, I think I'd have to quit if I was ever forced to work ball like this on a regular basis.

Started at 4:30PM, finished at 7:40PM. One more scrimmage. Like always, I feel like I have had enough of scrimmages about one scrimmage before I'm actually done.