Thread: Trick question?
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, I see your point about the manager having to be aware of how many conferences he has taken. I'll go along with the notion that it's not up to the ump to caution him. But according to the definition, a charged conference requires both a request for a time out and some actual consultation. For example:

If you check POE #11, you will note that if a defensive player calls time to approach and receive directions from the dugout, this is to be considered a charged conference.

POE #11 says: A defensive charged conference takes place when the defense requests a suspension of play for any reason, and a representative enters the playing field and confers with any defensive player. Should a defensive player approach the dugout and receive instructions, this is considered a defensive conference also.

Question 9 doesn't say that any conference took place. I guess I'll understand better if I know how you would call this play:

Manager (from the dugout): "Hey, Blue. Time out. I want to go talk to my infielders."

Umpire: "OK. Time!"

Manager (still in the dugout): "Oops, never mind, Blue. That would be my fourth conference."

Do we charge a conference anyway?