View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 16, 2011, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
I don't have the NCAA book in front of me, but determining if a player is unable to attempt the FTs is the same regardless of the type of foul, correct?

If so, can you see a scenario where a common foul by B1 against A1 injures A1 to the extent he cannot attempt the FT, but not to where he has to be removed? And, if it's a sprained or broken finger, what about the next time he's fouled?

I have a hard time finding a situation that would allow a player to remain in the game but make him unable to attempt FTs.
There is a distinction for flagrant fouls. If it is a personal foul (with free throws) and the injured player cannot shoot, then the opposing coach gets to pick the shooter from one of the four remaining players. For a flagrant foul, the coach of the team that is fouled can select any player or team member.

A.R. 199 addresses this as well.

A.R. 199.
(Men) A1 is bleeding from a blow to the head and is unable to attempt his free throw(s). Is Rule 3-4-3.f concerning an injured player applicable?
RULING: The intent of Rule 3-4-3.f is to eliminate the situation whereby a poor free-throw shooter faked an injury so that he could be replaced by a higher percentage shooter. Obviously, a bleeding player is not faking an injury. Consequently, Rule 3-4-3.f is not applicable. The bleeding player shall be instructed by the official to leave the game for attention by medical personnel. His coach may exercise the option of substituting for the bleeding player or calling a timeout.
(Rule 3-4-3.f and 8-2-2.a)

(Side note for those who have noted the NFHS did not update its casebook to reflect the new rule on throw-ins: The NCAA editors did not do too well either getting rid of "intentional foul" even though the rule change this year has it called "Flagrant 1." Rule 8.2-3 is at least the third place I have found the phrase "intentional foul" still in the rule book, even though it no longer exists.)

Last edited by BayStateRef; Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 02:32pm.