View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 11:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I posted the story of what happened in an Oregon boys 4A playoff game the other day, when a Jefferson player dunked during warmups, South Medford made one of two free throws to start the game and then South Medford won the game by one point.

Last night, South Medford played Hillsboro and lost by one point! With the game tied in the final seconds, a Hillsboro player attempted a jump shot and was fouled. He made the first, then intentionally (the story said it was obvious, and he confirmed after the game) missed the second so the ball would be batted around and the clock would run out - which is what happened. He didn't want to take the chance of South Medford getting the ball and a timeout to set up a successful last minute play, because that's what they did at the end of the previous game.

Now for the good part. After the game, the South Medford coach said, "There was no call there whatsoever. It's disappointing to lose on that call."

I didn't see the game, but I spoke with two people who did and they say the kid got hacked right across the arm and it was an easy call.

I guess that coach doesn't mind it when a call goes his way in a game he wins by a point, but he does when a call goes against him in a game he loses by a point. As Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise".