Thread: 2011 in Review
View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

2011 in Review

Dear fellow umpires,

For many like myself, the 2011 season has come to a close. I called my last two games last night, and I've begun the task of cleaning, scrubbing, polishing and putting away all of my gear.

It was a tough road coming into the season. Fresh off of reconstructive ankle surgery, I didn't set foot onto the field until April 26, missing half of the spring season. It probably would've been longer had I not pushed my physical therapist so hard into agreeing to release me from PT. Hey, I did all of my exercises, and then some! The recovery from the surgery set off a bad case of plantar fasciitis, but with the help of modern medicine (ie., cortisone shots), I was able to finish out the year without too much more pain. The break should help calm it down.

I have a lot more gear now than I did at this time last year: a chest protector, mask, shin guards, plate shoes, and a large roller bag. I've begun a new chapter in my umpiring career, a new challenge: fast pitch. So far, I'm definitely enjoying it. I would dare say that this was long-overdue. Over the last couple of years, I had started to lose my love for the game, but calling fast pitch, even as low-level as it is, has rekindled my passion for softball and participating as its official.

I learned a lot of things this year, and felt like a rookie all over again. While 2011 had its trials in store for me, it also had its peak moments. What are some of yours?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Sat Nov 12, 2011 at 11:23pm.