View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
It seems to me this is backward logic. We shouldn't be asking where "by rule" does it state the ball is still at the disposal of the player. We should ask when, by rule, is it no longer at his disposal.

The way I've always read the rules is that once one status is obtained (player control, team control, location, airborne player, legal guarding position), that status remains until, by rule, it changes. If no rule clear exists to end the previous status and/or begin a new status, then the status continues.

If the ball rolls onto the court it's no longer at the disposal of the throw-in team as either the throw-in ends or a throw-in violation occurred if the ball didn't go directly onto the court.

If the ball is fumbled and is rolling around outside the boundary, the throw-in hasn't ended. What, by rule, ends the status of "at the thrower's disposal?"

This thread has me questioning when "disposal" really ends on a legal inbounds play. Is it, by rule, when the thrower releases the ball or when the throw-in ends once the ball is legally touched?
I am willing to follow any such directive, but we cannot say something is when it does not fit the definition. Also the term fumble has a definition too. What is telling to me is there does not seem to be case play that suggests you can call a timeout to save a violation. I would think if that was a viable option that would be listed somewhere. I am looking but I cannot find such interpretation at this time.

BTW, I did not read this play as everything took place outside of the boundary. It does not say either way, so I was thinking the fumble took place onto the court. I can see how this could easily change if it took place completely out of bounds too. I just want something concrete to have a player call a timeout when they are not holding the ball anymore after they have had the ball in their disposal.

Peace