Thread: Illegal kick
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
The choice of spots is interesting, but I'd say the main issue is whether you're sure the ball was actually moved from its spot by contact with the kicker's foot. If he hit it so badly that it was displaced only 3", it'd be with a great deal of spin from having been hit far off center. If you didn't notice that spin, I'd say the ball accidentally fell off the tee.
There was no significant wind and I got a good look at the ball--there was nothing awkward about it. He just swung his foot and missed, mostly. This was really hard to not blow dead while things were happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Penalty: Check that again. Why would K lose the opportunity to replay the down?

If you were a LJ in OH (5-man) this would have taken place 60 YARDS away from you.
We never discussed it after the game--this one had two ejections for fighting and a handful of parents on the field as the second quarter expired. The game was practically a clinic for broken plays and screwy situations. But tempers were still heated at this point and nobody challenged the call.
After checking it out, 6-2-7a applies based on the foul for illegal kick happening before the change of possession. I'd never dealt with a free-kick play foul happening before possession, except for the free-kick out-of-bounds.

This was 4-man in Vegas. WH is on Visitor side about 5 yards deeper than the deepest R player. HL is on the R free-kick line at Visitor sideline. U is on Home sideline 20-30 yards deep, depending on R's formation. LJ is on Visitor sideline at K's free kick line. Just a different lineup, I guess.