View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 09:47pm
Lighten up, Francis.

NCAA Restricted Area Play

This play actually occurred in my scrimmage on Wednesday. Looking for thoughts.

A1's try is successful. B1 has the ball out of bounds for the ensuing throw-in. Due to a brain-cramp or something, B1's throw-in goes directly to A1. A1 catches the throw-in pass just outside the free throw lane at around the second hash-mark.

B1 steps inbounds and establishes an initial defensive position within the RA. A1 drives to the basket and there is contact on B1's torso.

My initial reaction, and the call I actually made, was a blocking foul on B1 because he was inside the RA. But after the scrimmage, I began to wonder if B1 should have been considered to be the primary defender.

It's not an "outnumbered" fast break. There wasn't really another defender around. The only "exception" to the RA rule that might fit here is that it might be considered similar to the "rebound and immediate drive" type of play.

(In the NBA, this play originates in the Lower Defensive Box, so the RA is not a factor.)

Ok, now for the sake of argument, would the call be different if B1 had been passing the ball toward B2 and A1 stole the pass (meaning that a second player from Team B was in the area)?