View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I think you missed Scrapper's point.

First of all, its $100 per year. And 92%+ of the officials won't even get a chance to earn that money back, and possibly never officiate an NCAA game.

Using Scrapper's numbers, 8% of test writers will be assigned games. Some would say that this is dangerously close to the 1%/99% divide.

The NCAA rule and case book can be obtained elsewhere, and/or from other people for free. Videos are a plenty.

I would likely pay the $100, but I bet that asking to attend pre-games, and going to camps would service me better.
Juggs, I believe you might've mis-read Scrappy's numbers. He mentioned the NCAA requires taking the test to be allowed to work the post-season tournament, and his numbers point out the possibility that there are many guys that will not work in the post-season, as opposed to not working at all. Most conferences are requiring their officials to be a member, and I would think almost every official would get their money back with one regular-season game.

As far as the money they are receiving, the Arbiter also collects a one-time fee per year from each conference or assignor per official on the roster. This is on top of the $100 fee received from the individual officials.

(Used with permission.)