View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

From association POV:

I would depend on who is running the tournament. Like it or not, in many, if not most cases, the sanctioning body is just that, the sanctioning body, not necessarily the host.

The host has every right to exclude umpires, teams, whomever from their tournament. Whether you like it or not, they are the customer and can just as easily pick up the phone and call XYZ Softball Assn and have them sanction the game and provide umpires.

From UIC POV:

I agree, if there is a problem with the mechanics/rule knowledge/attitude, I would hope that I would be aware of it and had it addressed long before something like this happens.

I would not tell an umpire the reason I'm not using him/her is because the teams do not want him/her working the games. However, I would want specifics of any allegations and if I thought they were unjustified, I would fight for the umpire to work if I needed him/her to complete the assignments. If they are justified, I'm having a talk with the umpire about something I obviously did not see.

I have often been criticized of some of the assignments I've given umpires, but always vindicated by the umpire's performance and willingness to step up their game when necessary (though I'm a firm believer an umpire should always give the same effort to every game)

Like it or not, the UIC is subject to the same "host" issues noted above and I've seen such an adjustement made at a high-level tournament by a NUS member simply because they did not have to choose ASA as the sanctioning body. If the UIC is instructed to not use a certain umpire(s), s/he will do just that or not be the UIC very long.

From umpire POV:

I would want specifics. If I'm doing something wrong or am acting in a manner detrimental to my game, I'm going to want the opportunity to correct it. If there are no specifics to be had or an unwillingness to discuss this by anyone in the organization, I may either retire or find another venue to ply my trade.

Simply telling an umpire they are not welcome without a reason is something that never occurs.