View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Here's mine:

Dear Mr. Senator:

I'm writing to express my utter dismay in your behavior at the Ohio State High School Basketball Championships. You apparently showed very poor judgment, poor self-control, and total ignorance about officiating. Officials do not get chosen to work a state final game if they are "horrendous". These men and women are trained, they study the rules, and have years of experience. I'm guessing that you, on the other hand, have no idea what a basketball official does on the court, have never even opened a basketball rulebook, and have (at best) officiated at one of your son's practices years ago.

The fact that you are an ignorant fan is completely understandable. (Please understand that I am not "name calling"; merely stating the obvious fact that you, like 99% of all fans, are unaware of the rules and mechanics of basketball officiating.) Your son was playing in the game. You had a vested interest in its outcome, you were emotionally involved in the game. Did it ever occur to you, sir, that the officials working the game had absolutely no vested interest in the outcome of the game? They couldn't care less who won the game, they had no emotional or rooting interest in the game.

The fact you stooped to abuse and personal insults is completely inexcusable. You owe the officials on that game a personal apology. Even if they were having a bad night, which I seriously doubt in any case, your personal behavior was revolting; considering that you should be a representative of all the people of Ohio.

When your own wife is quoted as saying that you need to control your temper, that should be red flag to the voters of your state. Sad day, indeed.

Sincerely,

Chuck Elias
Republican voter