View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

I want to throw this out here; the two umpire system is designed to cover 90 percent of the situations that will ordinarily arise. Aside from a pulled foot, bobbled ball, swipe tag or interference with the play at 1st, PU also has responsibility to see any violation of the three foot running lane and it sounds like there was potential in this scenario. R1 was tagged out ½ way between 2nd and 3rd base and the coach claimed that the obstruction occurred at 2nd. The obstruction was not noticed by either umpire. Let’s say that staying with the lead runner is more important for discussion purposes. So we move to the holding zone and observe that R1 is obstructed rounding 2nd and we miss the pulled foot, swiped tag, bobbled ball or interference. Would the coach not be equally upset about an umpire missing this situation? Any one of us could do the same thing and I do not believe that I would have handled it any differently than Hugo. The bottom line is, we can not cover every situation that will occur on the field in the two umpire system. Coach, I really wish you would have hired three umpires today.