View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 15, 2011, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Had a similar situation last night. I was HL. big pile up out near numbers opposite sidline. I got a spot from my side (crossfield mechanics) of where i thought forward progress was stopped. Suddenly, as LJ is running in toward the pile the ball gets stripped and returned by B for about 20 yards.

Coach on my sideline was not happy thinking forward progress had been stopped before his kid was stripped of the ball. I explained I could not clearly see the runner or the ball (neither could the coach) but would go check with the LJ. LJ said pile was still moving and kid was stripped before progress stopped. The coach remained convinced we blew that one.

What caused the situation to become controversial was when the LJ ran in toward the pile, no whistle, as if progress was stopped. Had he stayed where he was on the sideline and let the play develop it would have looked cleaner and been easier to sell, and having been still might have been able to get a better look himslef (running and seeing are not always a good combination).

When I went over to talk with the LJ I did not use condescending words, but simply asked him what he saw and that I did not have a clear view of the runner or the ball but had a spot of what I thought was forward progress. He explained his side, we gave the ball to B and I went and did damage control with the coach on my sideline.

Lesson 1: If progress not stopped, don't move in towards the pile as if it has.
Lesson 2. work as a team and don't use language that will cause a crew member to become defensive. This LJ is a good official and now he will be even better with this mechanics tweak.
lesson 3: we all make mistakes and becoming "territorial" like the comment in the OP is counterproductive to good crew relations and mechanics. there is a proper time and place to maybe have a stronger discussion, but on the field in the middle of a game does no one any good IMO.

peace.