Thread: Balk or not
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Balk or not

NFHS rules. Runner on 2nd, pitcher pitching from the stretch. After going to the set position, the pitcher pivots on the rubber, steps toward 2nd base and fakes a throw to 2nd. The runner takes off to 3rd not realizing the pitcher was faking a pick off move to 2nd. The pitcher, no longer in contact with the rubber throws the ball to 3rd and the runner is tagged out. Is this a balk or a legal play?

My opinion:
NFHS Rule 6.2.4.b says it is a balk if there is a runner on and the pitcher throws or feints to an unoccupied base when it is not an attempt to put out or drive back a runner. So, in my opinion it is a balk because he stepped toward 2nd, then threw to 3rd. Had he stepped to 3rd and thrown to 3rd, he would not be a balk because he was making an attempt to put out a runner.

I have heard 2 arguments from other umpires on this.
Argument 1: it is a balk because the pitcher must step behind the rubber before he can throw to an unoccupied base.
Argument 2: it is not a balk because the pitcher while faking a throw to first, stepped toward second and after his pivot foot left the rubber during the step toward 2nd, he is now a fielder and can throw wherever he wants to.

Thoughts?