Thread: First weekend
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
it just gets old real fast when every pitch either bounces off the catcher/me or rolls to the backstop.
Don't you work slow pitch? You should be used to it!

Earlier this year, I worked a 10U tournament. For one team, the coaches had to be as inexperienced as the players.

First, there was a foul tip (with one strike). Coach argued that the batter should be out because his catcher caught a foul ball. I tried to explain to him what a foul tip meant.

A little later his pitcher walked a batter and the B/R rounded first and continued directly to second base. The same coach argued that the B/R should be out because his pitcher was holding the ball. So I tried to explain to him the Look Back Rule.

When his team went up to bat, one of his hitters swung at a pitch, but the pitch hit her on the arm. I called the dead ball strike and he started arguing that his batter should be awarded first base. Again, I'm over at his dugout giving a mini rules clinic.

Then we had an infield grounder where the throw to first went past F3 and slowly trickled out of play. I awarded his runner second base. He began yelling that she should get third because she was between first and second went the ball went out of play.

I walked over to his dugout, just about ready to unload on the guy...but I didn't. Instead, I took a deep breath, paused, then said, exasperated, "You guys really need to find yourself a rule book".

This was the cool part...the entire bleachers around his dugout erupted into applause when I said that!

Last edited by BretMan; Wed Oct 12, 2011 at 12:18pm.