View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I suggest (and expect) that you read the whole things. This will make you even more proficient at helping and advising the officials. Most will appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I think knowing the rules and their impact is important.

Among a bunch of ways to help the officials, when I use to score keep, I would flash a "next one" signal and then "1+1" signal, both after the 6th foul was reported.
Both valid points, especially when in the Officials Manual, Appendix 4, is stated under "Training the table officials":

Before the opening of the season, provide the table officials with a rules book, case book, & other basketball rules material available through the state office. This should be done regardless of the number of years they may have served in this capacity. There are frequent rules changes that affect the task of these officials. It might be well to mark or otherwise call attention to those sections of the rules that directly or indirectly refer to their duties. Insist on a careful study of the "Instructions to the Scorer" and "Instructions to the Timer".

I've noticed over the past couple of years either via Fed of state, that there have been some changes that do affect table operations. However it seems like some table officials are not made aware of those changes until at the last minute.