Thread: First weekend
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
Our 10U plays 90 minutes. In the "live" games I have seen 1/2 innings take 40+ minutes! That is even with a 7 run per inning limit. Rarely get more than 3 complete innings in a game.

Worse yet, only the last 3 games of the season use love pitching! The bulk uses a pitching machine and two umpires at that! At least one umpire gets to load the machine.

Theory is, the batters can't hit because the pitching stinks. Doesn't matter that the pitching stinks because they don't get to pitch!

Oh well, machine games go about an hour, sometimes less. Get full game fee. Who am I to complain?
Hey, if they're willing to pay for umpires and umpires are available, I'm all for it. The girls have fun, they learn the game, and the umpires are there to make sure the game's called right.

Our 10U is VERY "instructional," and that applies both to the players and the coaches. I'm more than happy to talk with a coach who genuinely wants to learn, as most of them are just volunteers who have minimal clue about the rules.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.