Thread: First weekend
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

First weekend

Finally got our first weekend of Fall Ball under the belt. Let me first thank my scheduler for giving me 10U. The play was awful but at least the coaches were worse. First time I've ever LITERALLY pulled the rulebook (the local, not the ASA rules) out of my pocket, handed them to a coach, and asked her to read them. Proper etiquette on my part? No, probably not. But she simply couldn't understand me and even her other coach was telling her I was right and trying to get her to sit down.

The recipe of walk - passed ball - passed ball - passed ball (SCORE!) - walk ... repeat and stir until time coach to pitch, toss in the occasional HBP - PB - PB - PB (score!), was not exactly appetizing.

Got to see a pitcher hit her self in the head with the ball (straight up.... straight down). Got to witness a SB attempt that took literally 20 seconds to resolve, as the runner (who still hasn't touched 2nd) collided with the back of the SS who already had the ball and kept stomping on 2nd base, but never tagged the runner on purpose. She finally turned to look at me (I suppose wondering why I'm not calling the out) and accidentally tagged the runner who was still standing about 2 feet off the base not knowing what to do.

During the first 2 games, where I was PU, my BU made exactly ONE out call. (Ironically, when I was BU, the very first batter grounded out on a nice close play that I got to sell - partner was pissed.)

I think I said, "Coach, 1 base per pitch" about 40 times.

All that said... it was great to be back out at the park.

West Houston Mike