View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 08:33am
TODO: creative title here

People do sub-varsity games for all kinds of reasons, including (but certainly not limited to):

1) they lack of experience officiating football.
2) they lack of ability to work varsity contests.
3) to help officials in categories 1 and 2 become better officials.
4) to help "give something back to the game"
5) to have a reason to leave their 'real job' an hour or two early on a beautiful afternoon.
6) to get some extra exercise
7) to make a few extra bucks
8) to work on their mechanics.
9) because they enjoy getting screamed at by Jr High Moms don't have a clue about the rules and who all think their kid is going to be the next Adrian Peterson or Tom Brady.

I'm in the midst of a 15-games-in-18-days stretch of football season, and I've worked anywhere from 6th grade to High School Varsity to NCAA JV during that time. Personally, I work non-varsity games for all of the reasons listed above (well, except the first two). I had some great varsity officials help me through my first season working non-varsity games, and now I'm at the point in my career where I want to return the favor to the next group of up-and-comers.

To get this back on jk97301's topic... I always say there's something to learn from every game. Here's two things I would try to learn from this game:
1) Don't ever be that guy when you move up the ladder.
2) How could you have talked to the WH about any of this, during the game, without it seeming confrontational? "What did you see when you called that pass incomplete?" "Why did we (say "we", it's less confrontational, and, after all, you live and die as a crew) wave off the flag? The coach is asking about it. (even if he isn't)" Stuff like that.