View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Expansion On A Recent Topic

Rather than hijack the thread on displacement in the post I wanted to start a new one.

Low post play has always perplexed me a bit at any level of ball simply because of the amount of contact that goes on. There seemed to be a lot of individual judgement (i.e., HTBT) that went into just about every scenario or experience I've had with this aspect of the game.

I've never been a believer in coincidences so it shouldn't have surprised that while reading the rulebook last night in preparation for the season I came across 4-25-3:

Incidental contact is contact with an opponent which is permitted and which does not constitute a foul. Similarly, contact which does not hinder the opponent from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered incidental.

This is the rules justification for allowing the inevitable low-post jockying that goes on between offense and defense. Where a foul occurs is when one gains an advantage over the other because of the contact.

Thinking about it in that way helped clear it up for me and sharpen the line between contact and foul in the low post. What I wanted to check was am I thinking about this correctly? Is there a different way to view low post play and decide what is/isn't a foul?