View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrope22 View Post
It went well. He had a lot of fun. He was doing 6-7yr old coach pitch. The usual stuff. Lots of running and not many outs. Everyone hits with free substitutions. Couple of times runners passed runners. Not a lot of calls to make just keep the kids running the right directions. His trainer says "I feel like I am robbing the park every time I get paid for one of these games."

His trainer says he needs to be louder but other than that he is ready to fly solo next week. The plan is he will do this group through the fall and move to 8-9yrs old in the spring.
Like Kyle, I started a youth umpiring program for our local LL back when I was involved with LLBB. We started them the same way, at 12 yo in our coach pitch division and they moved up a higher division each year. If they stayed with the program, which included mandatory attendance at a four hour clinic each spring, by the time they were 14, they were calling games in our 11/12 yo majors division. Program worked well, had 100% backing of the league's BOD, parent's of our young umpires were amazed at the poise and confidence they developed right before their eyes.
Of everything I've done as an umpire, the seven years I spent running this program was by far the most fun and rewarding.
I wish your son the all the best in his development as an umpire.