View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Lessoned Learned

Yep, got straightened out in the championship game of what is supposed to be a fun one-pitch tournament. Unfortunately, teams think it is fun until they enter the playoffs and then you would think we are playing for a world championship. Teams go to the point of bringing in ringers from A & B teams that aren't in OKC this weekend, usually pitchers, just to win. And what is it they win? A t-shirt and team trophy! Hell, 2nd place is a case of beer. You would think there was serious money on the table.

Started the game talking to one of the ringers about his illegal pitching (No contact with the PP, stepping with what is supposed to be his pivot foot, etc.). His argument was that the PP wasn't flush with the ground and that we weren't in OKC. I guess that was supposed to impress me.

Nonetheless, the pitcher for the other team has a habit of pitching from behind the PP. Not a couple inches, but a couple feet. So, with a runner on 1B, the BU at 1st calls an IP when this pitcher does this. The pitch was hit cleanly to center for at least a single, but when the BR reaches 1B he stops because R1 was still standing on the base and gets forced @ 2B. His argument? The umpire said "illegal pitch".

Of course, the world is now coming to an end as half the dugout in this "friendly fall one-pitch tournament" starts screaming and hollering. Well, I don't have to ask what the call was, I know and find my new best buddy, the ringer as if he has the experience of which he claims, he will understand the call and ruling. I tell him the IP was for the pitcher throwing from behind and not in contact with the PP. It is an IP which is a DDB. He agrees, but didn't think the BU could call an IP. I told him that is the only umpire who would be able to see if with a runner on 1st. Then I noted that anytime a batter hits an IP, the IP is ignored/cancelled and he agreed. He turned around and told the team to shut up, the call was right and get back in the dugout. That is when I hear, "you guys don't know the rules. Never heard of a delay dead ball; it isn't even in the rule book!"

Well, let me tell you, that set me straight. I came home and ripped out page 118 of every ASA rule book I have since I obviously no longer need RS #14.

That team went on the win the t-shirts and trophy. Maybe I should have included a couple rule books in the prize package. Hey, that isn't a bad idea!