Thread: Foul then fair
View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

"[Danley] said that it hit his bat on the back swing, which would have made it a dead ball. It just got messed up -- I don't know what was happening, but I know that he hit the ball. ... He made the call, and that's what he went with."

From MLB.com this morning

ETA
Q. Two questions. What did you see and get on the --- from the umpire on the Murphy dribbler in front of the plate?

JOE MADDON: I talked to K.D. (Kerwin Danley) because I wasn't really sure. He said the ball hit the bat again and it just dribbled out in front of the plate. I had no argument at that point because I can't tell that. You'd have to ask him specifically. He may have called it a little bit quickly, I don't know. But the ball did hit. It appeared to be behind the plate but then rolled out in front of the plate, which means it is a fair ball if it is not touched.

So I went out there rather calmly and just asked him what was going on, and he told me that the ball had hit the bat again, which means it would have been a foul ball because he hit it behind the plate and pushed it fair. That's what I thought he meant, anyway.

I accepted the explanation because I couldn't tell with the naked eye what actually happened.

Last edited by Larry1953; Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 08:24am.