View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes1978 View Post
I disagree, I say it's a touchback. The kick does not end unless it is possessed or dead by rule. The ball does not become dead until it is at rest and nobody is pursuing the ball. I explained to a kid a couple weeks back in a Junior High game who was on the kicking team. The ball stopped and he ran up and touched it and ran away from it. I explained to him that his touching did not kill that play. If R wanted to they could have ran up and picked that ball up with nothing to loose, as R could always take the spot of first touching.
If you are disagreeing with the ball being dead when K touches a motionless ball that has not been touched by R, then you would be wrong.

InsideTheStripe has already quoted the rule that would make your ruling incorrect.

In your situation, if the ball had been MOVING and K merely touched it, then what you explained to him would be right. As it is, you misinformed a young football player and should seek him out to correct your mistake.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"

Last edited by MNBlue; Sat Oct 01, 2011 at 03:58pm.