View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I said. Thanks.

I did NOT state that I DO this ... I stated that the powers that be (the people that are telling us the proper and improper mechanics in situations like this) should CHANGE their direction and instead have us actually say OUT when the player is OUT. I stated (at least 4 times) that I currently do what we are told, but that changing what we are told to do would EASILY clear up this admittedly muddy scenario. If that can't penetrate your thick skull, I don't know what can.
Mike,

To me, and I suspect most of the participants on this thread, it was clear that you were not stating that you do this nor recommending that others do it; you were simply questioning why the "powers that be" do not recommend doing so. Because that's what you actually said in your posts.

To me, that's a reasonable question.

My impression, from reading MikeS's posts on this board (as well as other contexts) is that Mike is not what one would call a "careful reader".

He regularly mis-characterizes what other posters have written. I don't believe he does so intentionally, but rather due to "sloppy reading" and an analytic approach that favors eisegesis over exegesis. Regardless, if I were you, I wouldn't let myself be bothered by it.

In person, he's actually a pretty good guy and, from what I've seen, calls a good game.

In terms of "reading recommendations", it's my opinion that he would benefit from a careful read of "Verbal Judo", and fear that he may have 'over-focused" on the "argument" parts of Ms. McMeniman's work, while "glossing over" the sections on inquiry and analysis. That, of course, is just my impression.

JM